Catch Up On Recent Posts

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Christmas Potpourri


Don't you just love Christmas, the most wonderful time of the year? "With the kids jingle-belling and everyone telling you be of good cheer." I just got home after picking up my daughter from the store. She has been volunteering at the area stores for bell ringing on behalf of the Salvation Army. 
"It's the happiest season of all with those holiday greetings, when friends come to call, and there will be parties for hosting."

I love filling the house with "Christmas Scent!"

Gather the ingredients to make your house smelling like Christmas, especially before you are expecting company.


Some of these natural ingredients you may already even have in your pantry. 
3-4 cinnamon sticks and 1 tablespoon of whole cloves

One cup of cranberries

2-3 whole oranges, sliced


or 2-3 lemons, sliced

and a teaspoon of vanilla extract



Bring about 3 cups of water a boil in a pot or a slow cooker along with the fresh fruits, herbs, spices, and extract. Reduce heat and then simmer on low. Soon your home will be smelling heavenly! The combination of the spices and the orange slices is absolutely amazing! Check once in a while to make sure there is enough water in the pot to prevent burning.

A jar filled up with this concoction not only makes beautiful Christmas accents in your home but also excellent hostess gifts
Here, a trio of them looks pretty on my kitchen window sill.


To surround your home with more wonderful Christmas scent or simply to decorate with natural elements such as this sweet-smelling orange garland
Click on the picture below



Thanks for stopping by today and for your sweet comments. 
Merry Christmas!

I would like to say thank you to these gracious hostesses for showcasing my Christmas Luminaries and Thanksgiving Vignette at their fun linky parties. Stop by and visit their beautiful blogs if you get a chance for a host of inspiring ideas on home decor, crafts, diys, and mouth-watering recipes.

Kathy @ A Delightsome Life
The Style Sisters
Kim @ Savvy Southern Style
Linda @ Coastal Charm
Kathryn @ The Dedicated House
Tammy and Cathy @ One More Time Events

My heartfelt thanks!

~Hugs,Poppy~





13 comments:

  1. Love Love Love this. My Mom use to hang oranges like that in her kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. danke für die tollen bilder, eine schöne woche wünscht angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that it smells wonderful, but I have to say it looks wonderful, too...so colorful and pretty! I really love that orange garland! I remember it from last year and still think it looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea, it just remind us all that you don't have to spend a lot of money to have beautiful and timeless holiday decor that fills your kitchen with a wonderful smell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the holiday scents this time of year. You have the most wonderful ideas, and they're also so beautiful! Love the garland and the beautiful ingredients to simmer on the stovetop.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful, and I'm sure smells even better. The simple orange garland is my favorite, though. I saw your link at Dwellings: Heart of Your Home link party. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poppy I can smell it from here! Just beautiful with all of the colors too! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!
    SHerry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh I bet this smells wonderful, so perfect for the holidays!!! I love making a simmer pot with lemon, rosemary and vanilla (I actually have it on the stove right now!!!!) I'll have to try this too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love natural potpourri like that! I once did something similar in my home a few years back and it made the whole house smell so good. I love how you packed it in jars as gifts! Very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Poppy! Love your natural potpourri. Thanks for sharing it with us! Hugs, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Poppy, this looks amazing! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christmas potpourri is one of my favorite things to make. I didn't make any this year and now you have me wishing I had. Loved your photos, and the little filled jars. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am going to have to try this - I love aromatherapy and I can just imagine being home on a frosty day with this scenting my home - heaven!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your loving thoughts. They make me smile!Hugs~Poppy