Catch Up On Recent Posts

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Herb Station



Hi there! Summer is almost over. My kids go back to school in a week, and my older one moving into college. Evenings are getting a lot cooler, and I can smell the crisp autumn air! It's that time of the year when I bring a lot of the plants inside to protect them from the cooler weather.
I like using fresh herbs in my cooking, and I have many of them growing outside in my garden and some in pots. I have some sitting on my kitchen window sill:


Close at hand and ready to snip whenever I need them:

I love recycling various tin food cans for my indoor herb garden:

I found these reusable chalkboard labels at the local craft store:

I can re-position them or write on them with chalk as many times as I want! Very easy to use, and no mess. I'm really loving them:

The potted herbs sit in a clay saucer lined with pebbles:

The green herbs look so pretty in these simple tin cans, and it's such a neat way to reuse them:

Keeping them grouped together in the saucer...

 ...makes them easy to transfer from the window sill to my herb station and ready for use in salad dressings, 

marinades, and dipping sauces......

.....or for flavoring oils

and vinegar.

Herb infused olive oil tastes delicious with freshly baked bread

Having a herb station on my kitchen counter keeps everything organized, makes dinner preparations easier for me, and even my kids can help me with the meal:

 The rooster and hen is one of my favorite salt and pepper shaker collections that I picked up from a little home decor store while vacationing in San Diego

Close up on Roo


Miss Henny-Penny


Don't they look adorable together?

I hope you enjoyed taking a peek at my herb station and have inspired you to create your indoor herb garden:

Thanks for your visit! It is always a pleasure having you over. 
Have a beautiful week, everyone!

I would also like to take the time to thank these sweet ladies for featuring my Foyer in their weekly linky parties:
Hop over to their beautiful blogs for wonderfully inspiring ideas or join their fun weekly linky parties to share your own projects and ideas.

Linking to:
~ Hugs, Poppy~

34 comments:

  1. What a great idea to grow the herbs in cans! Every spring I tell myself I want I grow herbs but I never think about it again until late into the summer. But using cans would allow me to start growing them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you created an indoor herb garden. I may just make me one like that next year. I am hoping to have more counter space when we redo the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poppy, amazing post! The photographs are wonderful! Love it... here it's all so beautiful! Hugs, Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, this is just too cute! I love the garden so much, I'm going to make one myself! I love the labels, the ribbon, the roosters...cute, cute, cute!
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Sharlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tin cans are a great idea. The chalkboard labels are perfect. Dropping by from Met Monday. Hope you'll come see my grandson's playroom.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to honestly say those are the nicest Hen and Roo salt and pepper shakers I have seen in a long time! Love those chalkboard labels too, so easy.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute idea! Love your photos, too! I have never seen those labels, so now I will be on the hunt for them - I imagine they would also be cute as place cards at a table setting! Thanks for stopping by! patti

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful indoor herb garden. The chalkboard labels are great. So nice you can reuse and re-position them. Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Poppy,
    What a yummy post! I can just taste the olive oil on homemade bread; mmm! Love the blue roo and chicken! Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this, Poppy! What a clever use of those chalkboard tags! Thanks for sharing at The Scoop!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your herb stations, how fabulous is that. Love, love, love your vignette too. Thanks for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a wonderful idea! I love that you've used every day items to do this with. I love your cute chicks and roos too.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all those fun labels! And the kitchen herb garden is beautiful. The red ribbon just sets it off perfectly. I'd love for you to link this up to our All Things Thursday Blog Hop that goes live Wednesday night at 8pm Central. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE your herb station, Poppy!! What a great idea! I really like how you recycled tin cans and labeled them with chalkboard stickers.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful and I'm featuring it today!

    http://www.flourmewithlove.com/2013/08/featuring-you_28.html

    Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a great idea!! Especially with the cute chalk labels. Definitely my new project :D thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great idea! Come link up with us tomorrow at Craft Frenzy Friday at www.craftdictator.com!! I love herbs and I will definitely have to do this!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You have so many great ideas here. I love how you have the herbs grouped in a plant tray!
    Blessings,
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the way you've grouped everything together to create a vignette. It makes my stainless steel crate look utilitarian.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this so much!!! I really want to grow some herbs. You have given me lots of inspiration. Love all your photos.
    This new look is so lovely! I love the floating shelves. Very nice.
    Stopping over form "All Things Thursday Blog Hop". Now following you on Bloglovin and GFC.
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Bismah @
    http://simplemamaathome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute idea! The herbs look lovely in the tins and with the other decorations too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great idea! I've been on the lookout for some ideas for an indoor herb garden.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just wanted to let you know that you have been featured on my blog! Thanks so much for sharing at The Scoop! Hugs...Debbie
    http://confessionsofaplateaddict.blogspot.com/2013/08/fun-with-maps-and-chalkboards.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I never knew those chalkboard labels existed! How cute! I love how you've used them on simple tin cans for your herbs. I think that's so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh your herb containers are adorable!! What a great Eco Friendly idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Poppy, I love your herb station! I too like to bring my herbs in before they freeze. Especially love using Rosemary and Basil. The tin cans and labels are so fun and I love them in the terra cotta tray! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea with the chalkboard labels. Love the roosters. I have to say this is great way to decorate with healthy food. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Poppy - this is such a wonderful idea and you've arranged it so beautifully! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
    I appreciate you sharing,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Poppy, Thanks so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays. I love your Herb Station! The photos are beautiful too!

    Hugs,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just had to stop by and let you know I featured your adorable tin can herb garden today from last week's party. I hope you'll be back tonight to link up more fun projects at our All Things Thursday Blog Hop!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  31. Poppy, que adorável sua postagem.

    Pude sentir o perfume das ervas.

    Tudo encantador!

    beijinhos,

    Lígia e =ˆˆ=

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so darn cute! Alas I only have one herb..basil..which I just put tons of into spaghetti sauce but I should move it to the porch or something soon. And I recently started to make home made pickles and should have grown dill in the garden! DUH :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely...What a great idea and the herb plants would also make great gifts too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your loving thoughts. They make me smile!Hugs~Poppy