Catch Up On Recent Posts

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Upcycling Wine Bottles

I love decorating with bottles of any shape and color. Using empty wine bottles around the house and accessorizing them is a great way to recycle them. They make beautiful accents! Don't you agree?
Soaking them in a bucket of warm water makes it easier to remove the labels from the bottles. Some labels may require longer soaking than others:
I like decorating my home in Tuscan and French style, and the fleur de lis is one of my favorite accents to use around the house. This finial graces one of the niches in the family room:


They make wonderful tags for the bottles:
Click HERE to see how I made the decoupaged tags. I found the French script background for the tags: HERE 
I hot glued the webbing around the middle of the bottle, overlapping the edges:
I re-sized the fleur de lis image from the The Graphics Fairy in Microsoft Word and after cutting it out, I used it as a paper template for cutting out a similar image from a sheet of cork board purchased at the craft store. The paper template is glued to the cork using a glue-stick that prevents it from moving while cutting the cork. 
The cork fleur de lis cutouts were then painted with black craft paint:
The cutouts were then hot glued to the webbing. Applying the hot glue to the webbing instead of the cork helps it adhere better:
I like how the fleur de lis of the finial is repeated on the bottles:
Filled with few sprigs of faux apple blossoms, they make a wonderful statement. Don't you think?

I wish I could use real apple blossoms from the apple trees in my backyard, but looks like I have to wait few more weeks for mother nature to reward us with her bounty:

For the base  I used a cork bulletin board:

I love the detailing of this white wooden frame:
The board was then lined with sheet moss with a few rocks and grapevine balls scattered around:
Aerial view:
Spring in my family room:

Top-View:
So,what you think? Is this a good way to upcycle empty bottles:

Thanks for stopping by and touring my spring family room. I'm so glad you stopped by. Hope you are enjoying the spring weather! 
And thank-you Bunny @Bunny Jean's Decor and More for featuring my Easter Tea HERE
Stop by and say hi to Bunny, if you get a chance and share the love of blogging with her. She is the gracious hostess of the Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party where you meet and greet many wonderful friends:)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

My thanks to the wonderful hostesses of the following linky parties:

29 comments:

  1. These bottles look so cool Poppy. Love the texture you added and of course the embellishments and tag. Great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Esta muy original el centro con esas botellas ....Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Poppy,
    What a great way to reuse wine bottles!
    Thanks for stopping by,
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Poppy! Your wine bottles look so beautiful! This is a great idea.
    Thanks for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the look, Poppy. What a great idea and how creative of you!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute idea to decorate the bottles that way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Clever! I didn't know the apple blossems weren't real- they look so REAL! (and would ya want to cut the branches of an apple tree filled with blossems that later turn into apples? NO) Very cute and a great idea in recycling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Poppy! Love your decorated wine bottles ~ so clever of you! I am your newest follower.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poppy these are so lovely. They go perfectly with the rest of your home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cute idea! I hoard bottles I like and have painted some of them. I need to try your cork idea -- nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun and so creative. I love the look and your vignette is stunning. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the bottles! They look so pretty with the fleur de lis! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful idea! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poppy,
    Your idea is adorable. I love the way you mix the colors.

    Love the ambiance of your home. It feeCls so warm and welcoming.

    TY for letting me stepped in.

    Greetings,
    /C

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's so gorgeous, looking so great. Specially there are your home design and wine bottles are center attraction for me. I really like your style and the design of those wine bottles. Thanks for sharing this!

    philippine real estate

    ReplyDelete
  16. i too love to decorate with glass bottles. in fact, i have an upcoming post about it.

    love your lilly and theme. very nice and thank you for sharing it on our blog!

    see you hopefully again later today, Wednesday with some new projects/howtos

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is very inspiring I loved it !
    I'll be happy if you check out my blog too=)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi lovely lady.
    love" Love" Your wine bottles look so beautiful! This was a great idea Poppy !!
    Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my new Tablescape.How you have a wonderful week with your family.
    XXOO Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Poppy, you know my love for bottles, I'm sure. I adore what you did!! I loved all your embellishments and need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Poppy, This is really pretty. The bottles are great and love the tags. Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness they turned out so pretty! What a great idea and they look so unique. Your apple blossoms look amazing in them.I agree you are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful idea, Poppy. I am going to keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your old wine bottles look fabulous done up so prettily for Spring!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello Poppy! I love your craftiness! Love the Fleur de Lis symbol and they look amazing on the bottles! Very clever! Thank you for sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your loving thoughts. They make me smile!Hugs~Poppy