Catch Up On Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Decorating a Mantel


Hello, dear friends! Did you have a good weekend? 
Ours was a busy one. Just got back from visiting our daughter at Brown University in Providence. We enjoyed spending few days with her during her mini-break. I love visiting the city of Providence with its many art galleries, amazing restaurants, and wonderful shopping. We don't have a Sur La Table store near our hometown, so I enjoy strolling through the aisles of Sur La Table and browsing at all the French goodies on the shelves. 


With the temperature in mid-50s, we enjoyed the spring-like weather in Providence, and I was hoping for warmer weather now that we are back at home. But I guess that is wishful thinking, because we are expecting 2-3 inches of snow in the next few days! With that in mind, I thought I will share with you my mantel decorated for the winter.


I love decorating the mantel and adding seasonal changes. It is by far the most decorated surface in my home.


I like clean lines and keeping it simple when styling a mantel.


Designing tips for decorating a mantel:


1. Anchor item: Choose a large object such as a piece of artwork, over-sized clock, or a mirror in the center of the mantel that serves as a focal point and has the biggest impact on your design. 
I chose the gold framed painting of Claude Monet as my anchor item. I love the vibrant color and tone of Impressionist paintings.


Try to keep the anchor object proportionate in size to the fireplace mantel so that it looks visually balanced. 


2. Visual height: Add visual height such as candle holders or a tall vase on either of the anchor item.
You can choose to place either identical or mismatched objects on the left and right side of the anchor item as long as they add height to your design.


I chose this aqua ceramic vase filled with dried floral to add visual height.


On the other side of the painting, I placed a pair of  Wooden pedestals holding pots of greenery for height and balance.


Love how the aqua blue ceramic vase picks up some of the colors from Monet's painting.

3. Accessories: Lastly, add accessories of different heights in the empty spaces on either side of the anchor item to add visual interest. Keep the scale of these fillers smaller in size than the anchor object.


When creating a vignette for your mantel, think in terms of a triangle formation where the tip of the triangle is the center of the anchor item so that your vignette looks visually pleasing.


Also, when decorating your mantel, don't forget to decorate the hearth so that everything ties well together. I placed an over-sized metal lantern on my hearth.


I hope these design tips help you to play with your mantel the next time you decorate for the seasons.
I enjoyed sharing these decorating tips with you.
Before I sign off today I would like to express my sincere thanks to these wonderful ladies for featuring my Styling Bookcases at their weekly parties. Please stop by and visit them if you get a chance for loads of inspiring home decor ideas, DIY projects, mouth-watering recipes and more. Or maybe share your own creative projects and ideas at their weekly linky parties.

Thank you ladies!


Thanks for your visit! Have a great week!
 ~ Hugs, Poppy~

Partying at:





Stay connected:

29 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your mantel. The colors you are using are very similar to what I have. Love those risers on the right. You made those once, didn't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Poppy I had to come back and remind you - please link up with us for Thoughts of Home on Thursday morning beginning at 6 am. We would love to have you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for rising and shining with us this morning at TOHOT. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the mantel and the blue vase and pot on the coffee table. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Decorating a mantle can be such a challenge, but you make it look so easy!
    Crazy over the colors you are using, so spring and so happy too.
    Please come join us on Thursday!
    xx
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so pretty, Poppy! The colors are just lovely and remind me of warmer days. Providence sounds fun. I haven't been in a long time. It's nice that you are able to visit your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely Poppy and great tips! My mantles are one of the first things I decorate for each season. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful mantle. I needed the how to part of the post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so glad you are here at TOHOT.
    Once again, you have given us a great plan for what can be a tricky situation.

    Laura
    WSP

    ReplyDelete
  9. How very nice that you were able to visit your daughter at school! Love your mantel. Thank you for sharing the ideas! Blessings, Cindy xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mantel is beautiful. I liked reading all of your tips. I style my mantel in a similar way. I call in unbalanced symmetry. Each side of the mantel looks similar, but not with the exact items.

    Thanks for sharing at SYC!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your mantel is so lovely! Since I'm kind of freakishly into all shades of turquoise, you can well-imagine what my fave is on your mantel. I really enjoyed your tips, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! I have a similar way of doing my mantel, but with a lot more stuff lol

    Your home is beautiful :)

    rue

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this! So simple, yet colorful! I sooo need to do my mantel! Thank you for the inspiration! And for sharing at Dishing It & Digging It!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Poppy, just beautiful! That blue/aqua color really brings in the Spring feel everyone needs right now. Plus, I am loving your mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the colors you use here...it's all so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful mantel...like Rue, I use some of your tips but with a lot more stuff....:) Thanks for the great tips and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mantel looks lovely, Poppy! I adore aqua so you got my attention right away. Love the Monet painting and the large lantern on the hearth! Visually, a delight! Thanks for sharing with us at No Place Like Home and enjoy your day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how the blue and gold look together. The lantern is great too! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks great Poppy. I love that painting! Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your mantel is very pretty and those pops of blue just scream "spring" to me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Poppy, I appreciate these tips! I think my mantel is lacking and I will try some of your ideas! Thank you for sharing this week on the Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims on Earth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful mantle and fantastic tips

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautifully done; love the painting...great tips too!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful view and very useful tips!
    Thank you so much!
    Have a lovely week,
    Olga

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good morning! Just a little note to let you know that this post has been *featured* today on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! Thank you for joining us and have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful mantel!! Thanks for saharing:)
    Hugs for you,
    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh how inspiring! I hope our next home has a mantel... if not I can add one. :) Great tips... thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi , i love your love , you have a new follower
    Angelica

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your loving thoughts. They make me smile!Hugs~Poppy